Copyright © 2018 Physiotherapy & Massage Clinic - Physiomobility. All Rights Reserved.
Physiomobility Don Mills offers Shockwave Therapy treatment to our clients in our CF Shops at Don Mills clinic located in North York.
Conditions treated by Shockwave Therapy
Suffering from that ongoing Achilles tendonitis and Tennis elbow that is not responding to conventional therapy? In many cases, conditions or injuries that involve tendons, muscles and other structures such as fascia may not respond very well to treatments. Shockwave Therapy is indicated in such conditions after sprains, strains and scar tissue development. Shockwave Therapy is a very successful minimally invasive and non-surgical treatment for chronic conditions. It accelerates the healing process by causing slight inflammation triggering body’s natural healing process. To maximise the benefits of SWT, the treatment is commonly combined with manual therapy and exercise. Shockwave Therapy is a treatment of choice in chronic conditions and is not indicated for acute injuries.
The list of conditions below is only a portion of what can be treated by Shockwave Therapy:
- Foot and ankle pain and inflammatory conditions such as Plantar Fasciitis, Achilles Tendonitis and pain, Arch, heel, toe pain conditions as well as Morton’s Neuroma, Inflammation caused by Hallux Rigidus
- Shoulder pain conditions such as Calcified tendonitis causing impingement, Rotator cuff Tendonitis, Shoulder Bursitis, Frozen shoulder and other pain conditions
- Elbow and forearm pain conditions such as Tennis elbow and Golfer’s elbow and Elbow bursitis as well as overuse syndromes that affect forearm muscles
- Chronic knee pain and Jumper’s knee
- There is evidence that SWT accelerates healing in non-union
- Chronic muscle spasm and treatment of Trigger points
- Chronic neck and back pain due to whiplash and car or work related accidents
What is Shockwave Therapy?
The Shockwave device used by Physiomobility is a BTL-6000 SWT one of the latest technology in this field. Shockwave is an intense short burst of energy wave which travels faster than the speed of sound. SWT treatment sessions are short and intensive. When applied to the desired area of the body, the energy delivered is absorbed by the tissue which stimulates the healing process by increasing blood flow to the injured area. Shockwaves can be compared to Ultrasound waves with higher amplitude and are delivered via a projectile by accelerated compressed air generated by an electronically controlled aircompressor . Although, in almost all treatments, pain relief occurs shortly after the application of SWT, the goal of this treatment is not pain relief but the injured tissue regeneration.
There is evidence behind the effectiveness of Shockwave Therapy. It is scientifically proven that it is a FAST, SAFE and EFFECTIVE method of treatment to heal injured tissue and reduce pain.
How does one benefit from Shockwave Therapy?
No side effect is associated with the application of Shockwave Therapy. It is a non-surgical high intensity treatment which accelerates the healing of soft tissue. Many reputable medical practitioners Specifically, shockwave therapy is a non surgical treatment with no side effects. It accelerates the healing of soft tissue problems and is endorsed by leading medical practitioners such as sport medicine and orthopaedic specialists.
Consider Shockwave Therapy for a safe and successful treatment which is usually only 3-5 visits. It is an evidence based, affordable and non-invasive treatment with no side effects.
IS Shockwave Therapy at Physiomobility Covered by my insurance?
Shockwave Therapy offered by Physiomobility is covered by most insurance companies as the treatment is part of a range of treatments provided by chiropractors, chiropodists and physiotherapists. If you are suffering from chronic pain conditions affecting your life, consider a course of SWT treatment.
Evidence supports the effectiveness of Shockwave Therapy
- 91% Improvement for Calcific Tendinitis – (Journal – JAMA)
- 77% Improvement for Tennis Elbow – (Journal – Orthopedics)
- 84% Improvement for Plantar Fasciitis – (Journal – American Journal of Sports Medicine)
What are the limitations of Shockwave Treatments?
Shockwave Therapy cannot be applied to certain tissues such eyes, heart, kidneys and the liver. Other cotra-indications (not safe to use) include:
- Blood disorders
- Blood thinning medications (Warfarin)
- DVT (Thrombosis)
- Acute injuries and inflammation
Your treating practitioner will perform an assessment and will take a full health history to ensure you benefit from SWT.To find out if shockwave therapy can help you, book a free consultation with one of our providers. We offer packages of 3 or 5 sessions or you would have the option of booking individual sessions.